Okay, we were already in Wanchai just last Thursday during the mid-Autumn Festival holiday but because we had such a great time, we went back for a repeat performance. :-)
As per custom, we had intended to stop for drinks at Delaney's, then dinner at Thai Farmer's Restaurant which is just half a block away and next to a strip joint (I mean, it IS Wanchai). But tonight - Saturday night- Delaney's was off-putting-ly packed, and wanting to avoid the crowds we took shelter in nearby Mes Amis.
Alcohol is expensive in Hong Kong bars and restaurants, and after living here for more than 4 years I've become used to being ripped off for drinks (N.B. I still convert in PhP, ergo.). Occasionally the body craves for a good time though, so we must put up with these financial transactions, ha ha. Surprisingly, Mes Amis is not as pricey as I had expected, even if it looked like one from the outside. Not as pricey, but not cheap either. Still, compared to Delaney's my white russian cost several dollars less, though I have to say, number 1, it was happy hour; number 2 it contained a lesser amount of alcohol (this was in fact okay because it meant I could have a second round, LOL). But what was important was, it came with a cherry. :-D Now Brad may be thirsting for a Leffe, but he was happy with his number 2 choice, Hoegaarden draft.
Thai Farmer's has become our favorite haunt for Thai food of late, since that cockroach-in-a-curry incident in Sawadee Restaurant in Sai Kung last summer (Yes... Eeew.). Thai Farmer's is the right fit for us, a small unassuming shoebox of a restaurant serving home cooked Thai food and nearly as good as I get it in Bangkok. At least I can say that for my Thai red curry-- we havent tried much of their other dishes, we always order the same food everytime (for Brad it's fried rice with basil and chili). Interestingly their food was less hot and sweeter tonight. They must be taming the food for the gweilos on a Saturday night. ;-)
After a few hours we were ready to leave for home, moseyed our way to the bus stop which is a convenient block away too.
Easy Hong Kong.
- Jill
No comments:
Post a Comment