Friday, September 17, 2010

Mmm. Mooncake.

It's the run up to Mid-Autumn Festival and the queues for the more popular mooncakes are now long. Too long! I went all the way to this shop called Taipan to sample their snowy mooncakes, but there were quite a number of people waiting to be served in the counter so I retreated. Perhaps it's because it was rush hour when I went, I should try again tomorrow at an unholy hour, like 1 or 2pm perhaps. Hopefully the heat won't discourage me to go out then. ☺

We have never actually bought mooncakes for ourselves. Our stash right now is for Brad's family when he visits them later this month. We (or more like I) usually "subsist" on mooncakes given by Brad's students' and their parents, or a few colleagues of mine. People liked to give them especially to Brad. Give mooncakes for the gweilo to try, I suppose ;-). But anyway since we're pretty much locals now, the festival freebies have become few and far between, LOL.

I do like mooncake, and especially the egg yolk part. I wish they would make mooncakes with a thick inner layer of yolk so that every bite has yolk, haha. The good thing is Brad avoids that bit, so I have them all for myself anyway. I never hesitate to eat the yolk despite the rich oil that drips from it...









Sicko! :-P 
[Oh it's good with Coke by the way...]


Anyway last year someone gave us small snowy mooncakes which we both really liked. Though I'm quite happy with the traditional one, these snowy mooncakes are sweeter, come in different flavors, are served cold and seem lighter to the tummy. They might even be yummier than the traditional one, though it's like apples and oranges really.

Now it's a few days to the Festival and we havent received any snowies (the 4 traditional mooncakes we got are now down to 1 though). I just might be inconsolable if I had to wait next year to eat one, so I better make that trip to Taipan again tomorrow and avoid the regret.

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment