Ugh. Our cable tv and internet modem broke down yesterday morning and it's not until Monday night when NowTV can send someone to fix/replace it. No cable tv, no internet for the weekend. Double ugh. So we found ourselves scrounging for free wireless internet last night (Brad referred to us as internet cockroaches). First from the flat, though 15 I found were either password-protected or weak connections. Mental note: be friendly to neighbours, especially to anyone named "Elaine" or "Eddie," whose networks were registering the strongest wifi signals in our flat. :-)
We also tried the mall downstairs but ran the risk of loitering. Out of desperation we also considered going down street level, perhaps by the stairs next to the PCCW phone booths...
Thankfully we didn't have to go that far. The winner was the building garden. Out of more than 20 wireless networks my laptop picked up, one was unsecured and strong enough for me to latch on to. However I was done after one email. It's not very comfortable typing next to shrubs, LOL. And it was a little humid last night.
Too bad most everyone lock their wireless internet access, though I have no complaints about this. In fact we do the same thing. I just wonder for those who don't, are they deliberately being generous or do they just not know how to secure their network?
***
Meanwhile, I skipped the trip to Taipan yesterday. I figured it would be healthier to not eat more mooncakes. I think regret would serve me better here.
- Jill
No comments:
Post a Comment